Sometimes owners can feel overwhelmed by trying to trim their cats’ nails at home, and taking them to the vet or groomer to get them done can be upsetting for the cat. Nail trims can be done very easily at home as long as you have the right tools and know-how.
There are a wide variety of nail trimming tools that you can purchase at your local pet store or vet clinic. The easiest tool to use at home is the small scissor-type clippers. They are inexpensive and easy to use – ideal for someone just starting to try to trim their cats’ nails at home.
Below you will find some tips and tricks on how to trim your cats‘ nails at home, safely and without stress!
- Place your cat on your lap
- Be sure to show your cat the nail trimmers to get them comfortable with the new tool.
- Gently touch their pad and massage the toe pads
- Gently press down on the pad to expose the nail bed.
- With the nail extended trim the sharp tip off the nail.
- Release your cat’s toe and repeat this process until all nails are trimmed.
Reward your cat with treats at the end of the nail trim to make it a positive experience.
It is ideal to have the nails trim every 2-3 weeks to prevent excessively long nails.
If you have any questions, give us a call at 709-368-7981.
Written by: Paula Kennedy, Veterinary Assistant