We remain open to provide care for your pets. We are following the direction of government and regulatory authorities and have implemented hospital and visit protocols to keep both you and our team safe. For regular updates on our hours and visit protocols, please follow our social media platforms.
I've wanted to be in the veterinary field, ever since I was in elementary school. I've always loved all animals of every size and shape, and tried to bring home just about any animal I thought needed a home, whether my parents agreed or not. I worked in a pet store for a few years during university, and while researching veterinary careers, I learned about veterinary technology. I felt like this career was made for me and applied to college right away. I graduated with honours from the Nova Scotia Agricultural College (now Dalhousie Agricultural Faculty) in 2011, and the rest, as they say, is history. I started with Sunrise Animal Hospital in the summer of 2010 during my work term for the veterinary technician program. It was only a six-week work term, but I stayed the entire summer until I had to go back to Nova Scotia to finish school. I returned part-time while I was home for Christmas, and started as a full-time technician when I graduated the next May.
There are so many areas of veterinary medicine that interest me. In my day to day job, I love dentistry and laboratory work, however, I really have a soft spot for our exotic critters, whether they have fur, scales, or feathers! I would love to work in zoo medicine and rehabilitation at a zoo or an aquarium, however, that would mean moving away from home. There are many areas you can specialize in veterinary technology, but I don't think I could pick just one! I grew up with family dogs and a fish tank, but the very first pet that I can remember was a hamster named Teddy. The thing I love most about my job is that no two days are the same and that I never stop learning. I have been working in this field for eight years and I still get excited to see and learn new things.
There's no better feeling than working side by side the rest of the team to do what's best for someone's family member. While it comes with its challenges, my job is incredibly rewarding, especially when that reward is a snuggle or a sloppy kiss from a sweet old dog or a cuddly kitten. My favourite thing at Sunrise Animal Hospital is that we have an amazing team and we all strive for what's best for our patients. We're constantly evolving to provide the best standard of care possible, and we're encouraged to learn and grow in the field. I think if I had to pick an area to work in at all times, it would either be in surgery helping with anesthesia or in the laboratory running samples. When I'm not obsessing over animals (which isn't very often), I'm either playing piano, singing, listening to music, or out enjoying nature and trying to improve my limited photography skills.
These people are amazing. All the staff care for your pet Like it their own. I have been…
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
The following changes are effective as of Monday, March 23, 2020:
1. We are currently operating a “closed waiting room” policy to protect our clients and staff. When you arrive, please remain in your vehicle and use your cell phone to call us at 709.368.7981. We will take a history of your pet from outside your car, and bring your pet into the clinic for an examination with the veterinarian. Once the examination is finished, the Doctor will either call you or come out to talk to you to discuss the treatment etc for your pet. For those who do not have a mobile phone, an easy knock at the door will work the same way!
2. We are continuing to accept appointments for urgent or sick pets, as well as time-sensitive puppy/kitten vaccinations. All other services will be scheduled for a later time.
3. We are still OPEN with the following hours: Monday to Friday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. Saturday & Sunday: Closed.
4. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 2-4 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us when you arrive to pick up your order, but do not enter the hospital. Our staff will bring your order to your car and take payment over the phone. You can also use our online store and have your food delivered directly to your home. To sign up for the online store, visit our website.
5. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Payments for appointments can be taken over the phone by credit card or by e-transfer. E-transfers can be sent to email@example.com.
Online consultations are now available! If you wish to connect with a veterinarian via message, phone or video, visit our website and follow the "Online Consultation" link.
Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our roles. As such, we have taken measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this virus.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid and any updates will be provided as changes occur.